Weddings and Races

Well, I’ve been a busy  bee, but I haven’t been blogging so you’ll get an eye-full today! If you’ve been following me on facebook, you have seen some of this, but there is some new info too so I hope you’ll enjoy reading too.  

I am finishing up my last (non-family) wedding and it has been a lot of fun! The bride’s name is Crystal and she has one bridesmaid, her sister Lizette. Lizette is not in town so I have worked with her long distance to make her dress. I was able to take her measurements in December myself so that was a big help. Then I made a muslin of the dress and Crystal mailed it to her. I received the dress back in the small USPS flat rate box! 🙂 With some written instructions and promises of pictures in my email inbox. This worked out perfectly!! Being able to see the dress on her along with notes from another seamstress allowed me to adjust the pattern and create the finished product very simply! You can see it below. All that is left is to secure the straps and install the zipper. This will allow for minor take ins/outs after the final fitting May 10th (The wedding is the 15th!!). I hope she will allow me to take pictures of her in it so you can see it on a person!     

Crystal’s dress is covered in a beautiful ivory lace. Unfortunately I did not get a “before” picture, but we modified the design of the back from all buttons and loop to a keyhole. It buttons at the top with a hook and eye and 3 buttons/loops, opens in the center back, and concludes at the waist with corset loops and a satin insert I made from the fabric removed from the hem.  I really love what it adds to the dress! For the bustle, we decided on a french bustle, but upon installing the ribbon and loops, I realized it would be easier if the layers were separate, so I bustled them independently.     

In between working on those dresses, I snuck in some personal projects. Desiring to have some fun with t-shirt makeovers again (Click here to read about my first try at it), I asked for a Large shirt at the last 5k I ran a few weekends ago. I came home that afternoon and made it into a tank top! Here are the results:     

Before

After

     

After the picture, I did even more to it. There was a saying on the sleeve, which I cut around and sewed to the front left. I also added some elastic gathers at the waistline in the back to give it some more shape. I loved doing it so much, I decided to find some knits to play with! Lo and behold, fabric.com sent me an email that they had some knits on sale for $1.95 a yard!! I found 2 for t-shirts and 3 moisture wicking fabrics I plan to make running tanks out of for this summer. After a quick search on Burda Style’s website, I found Sadie. You can get the pattern too by clicking the pattern pic below:

        

On my friday lunch hour, I cut out and started sewing the first Tank. I figured I would make it exactly the first time and then start playing around with style after I see what I’m working with. Here is the first tank: 

oops…it’s a little crooked on the dress form…

My assessment is that it is a little too short and too tight. I like the smaller armhole, but I fear the fabric might rub my arm too much while I am running and present a problem. Yesterday I was shopping in some outlets and got a really great tank at Tilly’s. I think I may use that as a pattern the next go-round…it has some lace on the back, so I was thinking of finding some sports mesh to give it the same sort of style. The fit is long and loose. On another, I was thinking of an empire waistline and some gathers….I have a few yards… 🙂  

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s